Friday, March 26, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole

I was supposed to make this casserole for dinner last night, but it didn't happen.  So, I made it for lunch today, which was great because we ate it for dinner too.  This means I didn't really have to cook dinner tonight, which means my kitchen is relatively clean for the start of the weekend and since I didn't have to cook-cook I wasn't desperate to go out to dinner and I got to stay in my super comfy, paint spattered yoga pants and slouchy t-shirt lounge wear.  It's pretty good comfort food, not the healthiest or fanciest thing you can fix, but it's a good throw together meal....

Hashbrown Casserole
1 lb of ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
1 bag of mixed vegetables (which I didn't have, so I used two carrots and some frozen peas and frozen green beans.  You can use and vegetables you like)
4 tsp of  Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup, plus a little extra sharp cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like), grated
2 cups thawed hashbrowns


Preheat oven to 350.  Heat oil in skillet, add onion and carrot (only add carrot if you are using fresh, if you are using frozen veggies hold off on adding them).

Add meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder and 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.  When meat is browned, drain all but 1 tbsp of grease.


Add frozen veggies, reduce heat to medium low.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine hashbrowns, sour cream, soup and 1 cup of cheese.  Add meat mixture and stir until all ingredients are well combined.  Pour into 9" x 13" baking dish and top with remaining cheese.  Bake for 35 minutes until hashbrowns are tender and casserole is bubbly.


Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the final product.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails