Monday, February 15, 2010

Pepperoni and Pineapple Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust

Pizza dough was the first yeast bread I tried making in Guam.  The first time I made it, it turned out pretty well.  Since pizza around here isn't really good (or fast, or reasonably priced) I've made pizza at least once a month since the first attempt.  Each crust tastes better than the last.  I'm finally comfortable enough with the process, that I was able to create my own crust using my own recipe.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust*
1 C warm water (needs to be between 110-120 degrees)
1 pkt yeast
2 1/4 C all-purpose flour, plus extra  (I use unbleached all-purpose flour in all of my baking)
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp each- basil, oregano

Preheat oven to 350.

In large mixing bowl add yeast and sugar to warm water.  Let stand for about 10 minutes until water is frothy from yeast.  Add flour, sugar, salt and spices.  Mix.  Add olive oil.  Continue to mix until all ingredients are combined.  If dough is very sticky, add a little more all purpose flour.  At this point, you can let the dough sit from 5 minutes up to an hour.  However, if you're in a hurry, like I always seem to be, you can roll dough immediately.  Knead dough until it is elastic and not too sticky, adding flour as necessary (you should be able to pick dough off counter with out it sticking).  Place on pizza pan and form to shape of pan.  Place in oven without toppings, for 7-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, while crust is baking, assemble your toppings.  I make my own pizza sauce by combing 1 can of tomato paste with either one can of diced tomatoes or 1 can of tomato sauce and then add seasonings such as oregano, thyme and basil as well as salt and pepper until sauce tastes the way I want.

Once the crust has been in the oven about 10 minutes,  I remove it from oven, immediately add toppings and pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so until cheese is melted and outer edge of crust is lightly brown.

*if you don't want a whole wheat crust, substitute all purpose flour for whole wheat

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails