Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crepes Florentine

One of our favorite places to go for brunch is Infusion Coffee and Tea.  They have really great crepes (both savory and sweet).  We go there often enough that we are due a free crepe next time we eat there.  That being said, when I find a food I really like, I try to duplicate it at home so if I ever have a craving, I can whip it up on the spot.

For some reason, I've been intimidated about making crepes (I thought I needed a special crepe maker like my grandmother had and that creperies use), but after watching Worst Cooks in America and seeing them make crepes I figured I could do it.  And with a little encouragement from a friend who successfully made some a few days before my attempt, I was off.

The crepe recipe is a basic recipe I found on the internet.  The filling and topping are my own concoctions.  Don said these turned out as well as what we get at Infusion.  They didn't take as long as I expected, but don't make it on a night when you are in a big rush.  This is NOT diet food.  Paula Deen would be proud!

Crepes:
1 C. flour
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 C milk
1/2 C water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted butter

Combine flour and salt in small bowl.  In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, water, butter.  Using a hand mixer or blender, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until smooth.  To make crepes, use a non-stick pan. Heat pan on low and run a stick of butter all over the pan until coated.  Turn heat up slightly and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into pan.  You will need to move pan around to coat bottom with batter.  You should flip the crepe once the edges are bubbling.  Cook the crepe on the other side for about 2 more minutes remove from heat and fill with spinach mixture and top with cheese sauce (recipes below).

Filling:
6 slices of bacon
1 tbsp butter
1 16 oz. pkg of frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 small white onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt
pepper
red pepper
garlic powder

Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.  Remove, drain and crumble.  Reserve 1 tbsp of bacon drippings. Add 1 tbsp butter to reserved drippings in skillet.  Add onion and sautee until soft.  Add spinach, garlic powder, red pepper and black pepper (start with about a 1/2 tsp each), bacon crumbles and soup.  Combine well and taste, add salt and any additional seasoning as needed.

Topping:
3 tbsp butter
1/4 C flour
1 C milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 oz cream cheese
1/4 grated parmesan cheese (use a hard cheese, not canned parm, you'll need a little elbow grease)
1/2 C shredded swiss cheese

In saucepan on medium high heat melt butter.  Add flour, stirring constantly- it will thicken up.  Slowly add milk, continue to stir constantly until gravy like.  Reduce heat, add nutmeg and cheeses.  Stir until melted, remove from heat.

2 comments:

frosty said...

good idea on the topping..... i bet yours were way yummy!

Terrell said...

Thanks Amy. They were pretty good, but the pesto at Infusion can't be beat! I think the honey mustard you used would have worked well with these too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails