Monday, February 15, 2010

Mole Rubbed Chicken with Mango/Avocado Salsa

I found this recipe in Southern Living's 2009 Annual Recipes Cookbook.  I LOVED it!!  Don and Price LOVED it!!  A total hit.  It is quick and easy and clean up was quick and easy too.  Don't let the cocoa scare you off- you honestly can't taste it.  I've added my input in italics.

2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (next time I make this, I will use chipotle chili powder, I think the smokiness will add a nice touch)
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa (I may bump this amount up a little, you don't want the chocolate to overpower the recipe, but it was almost lost)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 limes
2 teaspoons honey
HASS AVOCADO FROM MEXICO, chopped (I think Hoss sponsored this recipe, so use whatever kind of avocado you have on hand, I used 2 avocados because I am an avocado addict)
1 cup chopped fresh mango (I have no idea how to pick out a fresh, ripe mango or cut it.  I do however know how to find a bag of frozen stuff, run it under some water and it works great)
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (I had to omit this due to the tomatoes that were available were gross, and the salsa tasted good without them, just would have been nice to have the color)
finely chopped red onion
4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
Garnishes: fresh cilantro sprigs, lime wedges

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Stir together brown sugar, next 4 ingredients, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Rub chicken with sugar mixture, coating well. WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER TOUCHING RAW CHICKEN!

2. Grate zest from limes to equal 1 Tbsp.; squeeze juice from limes to equal 2 Tbsp. Whisk together honey, lime zest, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add avocado, and toss to coat. Stir in mango, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt.

3. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 165°. (I didn't feel like messing with the grill, so I did these in my grill pan and it worked fine) Serve with mango-avocado salsa. Garnish, if desired.

This meal is light and breezy, filling yet not overly so.  If you make extra, the chicken makes a great salad the next day.  Cut it into chunks add to any left over salsa and add a little mayo- great as a sandwich or on crackers.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails