Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Early Morning Wake Up Call

Price has been sleeping through the night off and on (thankfully, more on than off, except when teething or right after traveling) since he was about 3 months old.  In fact, yesterday he woke up later than Don and me! So, these days if he wakes up in the middle of the night it takes a bigger toll on me than it did when middle of the night upheavals were a regular thing, my body had adapted to the zombie like state.  Now, instead of jumping out of bed and running to his side like I did for about the first 7, 8 or to tell the truth maybe even 9 months of his life, I lay in bed hoping upon hope that it is a temporary thing and he will settle himself back to sleep.  Unfortunately, last night was not one of those nights!

Don and I sometimes participate in the slacker parenting method- we don't always wake Price up if he falls asleep drinking his last bottle.  In order to accomplish this we will leave him in the clothes he was wearing (not always a problem since there are many days he never even gets out of his PJs) and if his diaper seems clean enough, we don't change it- even though I know in my heart of hearts we (and by we, I mean Price and I- Don sleeps through all middle of the night shenanigans) will have a night like last night.  I fell asleep a little after 11 last night, only to be woken up at midnight by my child who was cold since we let him go to bed in shorts, so in my effort to continue my progress towards mom of the year, I just threw a pair of pajama bottoms on over what he was already wearing and put him back to bed.  I finally fell asleep around 12:45 only to have my sweet, precious child wake me up at 4:30 because his diaper had leaked and he was wet. Again, better parenting could have prevented this, but I forget these things at his bedtime, when God bless him, I am just ready for him to go to bed (I love him dearly, but he is EXHAUSTING these days- he is everywhere into everything all day.  I wouldn't trade it for the world, but the only time I can truly relax is when he's sleeping).   So, at 4 a.m. under the cover of darkness, I let him nurse and he falls asleep.  Once asleep, I change his diaper while he is laying in my lap.  Of course, he has a poo ball that rolls right out of the diaper and onto the bed, I quickly scoop the poop with MY BARE HAND back into his dirty diaper, put new jammies on him and slip him back into his bed- without waking him up.  After spritzing with hand sanitizer, I went back to bed for about 2 more hours. I had a HARD time waking up this morning.  And writing this reminds me, I need to go wash our sheets!

Guam update for the day:
Our meeting with the medical clearance board has been delayed another week because we haven't gotten a form back from Price's craniofacial team.  we can't get orders until we have this meeting, without orders we can't arrange our move, check into housing or make travel plans.  When you only have about 10 weeks to make an overseas move, any delay like this crucial!  We are hopeful that we can make next week's deadline.

In packing/organizing news:  I have gone through the kitchen and gotten rid of anything I don't want to move or store- it's all in the garage waiting to be sold. I have started on Price's room, and have made good progress.  My house though, is beginning to look like a hurricane hit it- oh well,  guess that's the price you pay for progress.


Related Posts with Thumbnails