Saturday, November 21, 2009

Oh No! The Eggo

In the news today, there were two headlines discussing recent food shortages.  I know scientists have predicted that there will come a point in time in which Mother Earth can no longer provide enough food to sustain the population.  I just never thought it would be here now....

First, Kellogg's announced that we should all expect to see a shortage of Eggos in the near future.  Nestle followed soon after with an announcement that there may be shortage of pumpkin this holiday season.  Seriously- no Eggo waffles and no pumpkin pie?  Good thing I got a pumpkin fix last week.  And actually, judging from the copious amounts of canned pumpkin in the Commissary (which at times is true definition of food shortage), I think we're ok in that area (but I probably should go stock up before all of Guam finds out that there may be a pumpkin shortage and buys it all up).

As for the Eggo problem...  I leggomyeggo long ago.  Don't get me wrong.  I really, really love waffles (or any other carbohydrate that I can get my hands on at breakfast time).  The best waffles I EVER had were made by  KJ- they had chunks of cheese and meat in the batter and were paired with a honey mustard sauce.  Of course, being from the South, I enjoy a good helping of chicken waffles from time to time.  And would never, ever, ever, never turn down a chocolate chip waffle.

But I don't eat Eggo waffles.  About once a year or so, I get a craving for them, eat one or two bites and remember why I don't buy them anymore.  They really don't taste that great.  I understand why people do eat them- they're quick and easy to make, but like most quick fixes- they are relatively expensive and the ingredient list is long and full of long words (mostly just vitamin supplements).

So, I'd like to offer this solution to the Eggo shortage- make your own!  There are two ways you can do this, buy a mix (like Krusteaz or Bisquick) or my prefered method-make them from scratch.  Making from scratch can take as little as 13 minutes from start to finish (I made some this morning and timed it, and by finish I mean the first waffle was finished cooking).  I use the Waffle Recipe from  The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 75th Anniversary Edition.


Ingredients

*I like the flavor that a little butter adds to the waffles, but the oil helps them to not stick to the waffle iron, so I melt about 2 tbsp of butter, pour that into a measuring cup and top off with oil to achieve 1/2 cup.  Also, cinnamon is not called for in the original recipe, I add it because I like it, especially with chocolate chips or bananas, so feel free to omit if it's not your thing.



Ingredients Assembled


Directions




In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (and cinnamon if desired). Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.


In another bowl, beat the eggs, slightly; stir in the milk and the vanilla.


Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (the batter should still be slightly lumpy).  This is also when you would add any thing like blueberries, CHOCOLATE CHIPS, granola, etc.


Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups batter onto the grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron . Close the lid quickly and do not open until done.


When done lift the waffles of the iron with a fork.


Repeat the procedure with the remaining batter.

The Finished Product


The recipe states it will make 10-12 waffles, I think we have a large waffle maker because I usually only get about 5-6 waffles.  We each eat one, so we always have leftovers.  Here's the great thing- you can freeze the leftovers and then when you want a waffle- you just pop it into the toaster like an Eggo!  So, if you've very industrious (unlike me), rather than making waffles for breakfast from scratch and only having leftovers to freeze, you could plan ahead and make a double batch, freeze all of them and then have homemade waffles ready whenever you need an Eggo fix.  The initial output of time is a bit more than opening a box of Eggos, but is a money saver and can be a time saver too.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails